BETTER STUDENTS FOR A BETTER UTAH
Did you know that the state of Utah gives parents a no-cost option to get kids ready for kindergarten?
It’s called Waterford UPSTART, and kids who participate enter kindergarten reading at nearly a first-grade level no matter where they start.
For fifteen minutes a day, five days a week, kids get ready for school while having fun using the adaptive software at home. Parents can follow their children’s learning through the Waterford Mentor app.
This is one of the best things you can do for your child’s education. If you have a child under the age of five, go to Waterford UPSTART dot org and put them on the path to school readiness today!
How Does Waterford UPSTART Work?
Waterford UPSTART provides four-year-old children access to the highest form of academic support in their early education at no cost to participants: personalized family education and coaching, a new computer and Internet if needed, and adaptive educational software.
The average Waterford UPSTART graduate enters kindergarten reading at nearly a first-grade level and maintains their gains for years to come.
UPSTART: Opportunity for families to enroll their preschoolers in the program and why they should, i.e. the successful learning outcomes that it has had in Utah over the past six years and/or the individual family stories.
· UPSTART is a free, at home program to get all preschool-aged children ready for kindergarten.
· UPSTART teaches reading and literacy, as well as math and science. It only takes 15 minutes a day.
· UPSTART is fun–books and songs and games! Kids can use it on their own and they love it.
· UPSTART is open to everyone Utah as part of an effort to bring equity to education and give all children a chance to succeed in school.
· UPSTART is funded by Utah Legislature.
· Families receive use of a free computer and free Internet during the program if they do not have access to these resources at home.
· Enrollment is open now. The new session will begin in early fall. Spots are filling up fast.
· Many parents are amazed at how fast their children learn to read on UPSTART. It really works!
· The program is adaptive, so it allows all children to progress through the lessons at their own pace.
· Independent evaluations show children who participate in UPSTART have two to three times higher academic growth rates than children who are not on UPSTART.
· UPSTART works for many families and is ideal for 1) Rural areas where there is a lack of preschool programs or transportation; 2) Families intending not to send children to traditional preschool; 3) Parents who are not sure how to prepare their children for school; 4) Non-native speaking children; 5) Children that need extra help.
· 25% of preschoolers in Utah will be using UPSTART next year.
· UPSTART was developed by Waterford Institute, a local nonprofit research center that develops early learning software.
· Waterford’s software is used in nearly every state and 15 countries globally.
· Waterford’s mission is to help every child succeed in school and develop a love for learning. The UPSTART program in Utah is fulfilling that mission.